Sunday, July 12, 2009

Bicycle Illinois Day 1 - Cairo to Carbondale


Ride Stats - Day 1
Distance: 72.85 Miles
Time: 5:28:08
Avg: 13.32 MPH


What's the old saying about "The best laid plans..."? Well that certainly was in force today as we began our six day trek with a 71 mile ride from Cairo to Carbondale with an optional 30 mile loop for all us crazy riders who wish to do a century distance. I was feeling GREAT today. I was well hydrated (as evidenced by my frequent bathroom pit stops), feeling strong and was having a great ride as I finished the 71 mile portion. It was at that time a S L O W moving thunderstorm decided to end my ride day. When I saw the lightning and heard the thunder, I knew my ride was over. I was very disappointed. But I take comfort in the fact that I am here to talk about my ride as opposed to continuing my ride and possibly being zapped!

My riding partner for the day was Peggy who was a rock star! We navigated hills, steep hills and insane hills today with aplomb, vim and vigor! But we did not do the "Hill of Death", a 25% graded hill which my friend Mike said he had to walk up the majority of. Like Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations". And I do know mine!

But all in all it was a fantastic day today! Day one is in the books. Tomorrow we head for the hamlet know as Centralia.

Car Back! :)

4 comments:

  1. As you say better to be safe so you can ride another day - you did the right thing. Sounds like you are having a great time. Ride on and talk to yous soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job sir! Keep it up! You'll do fine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. riding in the rain is N B D, but the lightning is no fun.
    Good job

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for letting us live vicariously through your blog. It is great to be able to follow you on this journey. Be safe and have a blast.

    ReplyDelete