Sunday, July 19, 2009

Bicycle Illinois Day 6 - Kankakee to Chicago


Ride Stats - Day 6

Distance: 83.71 Miles
Time: 6:46:28
Avg: 12.36 MPH

FINISHED!! Yes Bicycle Illinois 2009 has come to an end with a lovely ride from Kankakee into the great city of Chicago. It was the icing on a tremendous week long adventure cake! I rode my bike 580 miles in six days which is a personal best for me.

This was the adventure of a lifetime for me! I got to experience the finest people, places and things the state of Illinois has to offer.

My goal was to ride 600 miles in six days. I came up just short due to weather on the first day and weather on the last day. No worries. This just means I have a goal to shoot for next year! :)

Thank you to Bicycle Illinois Ride Director Rob Layton, Assistant Ride Director Josh Musinski and staffer Meredith Jump for putting on an AWESOME event!

Thank you Liz, Peggy, Mary and Erin for making me a part of your extended family this week as we shared laughter and good times across the highways and back roads of Illinois.

Thank you to all of the Bicycle Illinois participants for making my ride through Illinois a memorable one.

Finally, my thanks to Campbell Street Bicycle Shop in Arlington Heights, for making my bike ready to ride 580 miles in six days, Rachel Erlichman of Able Bodies Training in Buffalo Grove for making my body ready to ride 580 miles in six days, the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team-In-Training program for helping me discover a passion for cycling, Bonnie Botoske for her inspirational cards I read before each day of the ride and Mom & Dad for all the love and support you've shown me in all of my cycling adventures.

I hope everyone enjoyed my blog. I sure had a great time writing it!

Take care,
Gary

2 comments:

  1. Congrats Gary! Great job and great adventure! i love when you write about your personal best. I remember the year of your first Tahoe ride and a very windy training ride in Frankfort, IL. As we were riding back towards the parking lot after the chilly windy ride...you stated "well this was great, 40 miles and a personal best for me...it only gets better and better". It did and it has, 580 wow!

    Ride on my friend and continue to ride strong!

    All the best ~ Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should totally keep this blog going, you are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete