Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Bicycle Illinois Day 4 - Effingham to Champaign


Ride Stats - Day 4:

Distance: 109.46
Time: 7:58:34
Avg: 13.72

When was the last time YOU were on a swing? It's been many, many, MANY years since I rode a swing. But since I just couldn't pass it up, I took the plunge and the result is this picture (thanks to Jen for the idea). After 80 miles, it was a fun thing to do and it was a good stretch for my legs. It really helped me with the last 29 miles of today's ride.

It was a tough day today. It started ominously as severe thunderstorms rolled through the Effingham area just before 5:30 AM. We delayed our start 1 1/2 hours until 8:00 AM. And even then, we were keeping our eyes to the sky as we cautiously started out. One of our riders (Evie) took a spill and wound up getting stitches in her chin when we got to Champaign. Many riders got lost (including your humble blogger) and there were some flat tires to boot. What can I say? Mama said There'll be days like this. And today was one of those days! But, I increased my personal best by having now completed three centuries in three days!

This is the first time I have visited the University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign. This campus is HUGE! We're here becuase Rob is a U of I graduate. Oh to be a college student again. NOT!

Tomorrow is mandatory century day. In order to get from Champaign to Kankakee, everyone will have to ride 100 miles. It will be the first ( and only) time each riding goup will finish together without options for extra miles. It will be nice not to finish by myself.

I'll talk to you from Kankakee tomorrow.

Hole!

1 comment:

  1. keep the pedel to the road and all will be good today. always hoping the wind is/was at your back
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete